Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Language and Imagination



A couple of weeks ago we took a friend, Rachel, to Moab to see the petroglyphs before she headed back to China. She and I were looking at this huge rock panel when a woman standing next to me said, "I believe all of those rake looking petroglyphs are about irrigation. These indians must have seen the Mormons doing it on their way here."

First of all I was floored that she thought that these petroglyphs were created at the same time that the Mormons moved into Utah. I wanted to correct her on her flawed history, but I stopped myself. I realized that she was showing me an important component of language.

First of all, I do believe that the petroglyphs were/are a language, and I do believe that the Pueblo tribes understand this language. However, besides a specific meaning behind all of these amazing images, I believe there is a universal language being spoken as well, and my gut feeling tells me that when they created these images, they knew that they would be speaking to us one day.

I love reading all of the archaeology about these areas, but sometimes I think science gets in the way. I think it shuts down our connection to these symbols and language that obviously speaks to so many. I think a major component of rediscovering this type of language within ourselves is letting ourselves imagine again....let ourselves feel the images. An elder that adopted me years ago told me that our imagination is the bridge Creator gave us to connect with Him/Her.

For instance, I was on a hike this past weekend, and we came across a family from Japan. They could not speak a word of English, and I can't speak a word of Japanese. However, we came to an amazing spot on the hike, and we were able to communicate. I have no idea what he was actually saying, but I could feel his awe, his gratitude for me pointing out the site, and his excitement over what we were standing next to. Not a physical word was understand, but what was behind those words, completely came through. When I am standing in these amazing places that the Old Ones decided to mark with their petro or pictographs, I may not understand the specific meaning, but the universal meaning comes through so clearly most times.

I believe the context of the moment is what truly communicates with us. We can look at pictures of petroglyphs in books, but when you actually hike out to be with them, what they were expressing comes through most times. It is important to be in the place, and another component of Sacred Language for me is how it connects you the environment in that innate way we have all lost touch with. I think their language is a connection back to that aspect of who we are. I think this might be why I come to an understanding of what some of these panels mean. Maybe they aren't about knowing what they were physically saying, but what they are trying to remind us about....that connection with All That Is that is not bound by  written words.

When I find myself before these sacred images, I take a look around to see what actually surrounds me. I sit and take it all in focusing upon my breath, slowing my mind and focusing upon walking within their shoes....within their eyes. What do we both see together? I then sit with the images upon the rocks and simply soak it all in without trying to even figure it all out....just enjoy it....I say a prayer, give thanks to them for what they created, and how they inspire me. At times the meanings begin to sink in....and I just let my imagination flow with it.

So as I look at the rake image, which Hopi elders have stated that it represents their migrations, I can see how she felt that it had something to do with irrigation. The interesting thing is irrigation was as important to the Old Ones as it was to this woman who began talking about irrigating her ranch. A common issue they both shared....a bridge with the past. Without knowing it, she made a connection to the Old Ones through their language that will stay with her forever.






No comments: